Tuesday, December 14, 2010

TMI on PMS

It's that happy time of month (oh, joy).  I have no use for a uterus and would happily have mine removed if I could find a surgeon willing to undertake such a task (and if it were covered by insurance, of course.)  I wonder:  how much do uteruses (uteri?) weigh?

(On that note, I was reading an article recently about live organ donations and the Very First Thing I thought was:  "I wonder how much a kidney weighs?" Some of us are sicker than others.)

Periods tend to reduce my appetite but they also cause great discomfort, and I am one of the few people in the planet who want to eat when I am in pain, particularly any pain in or near my belleh.  (I know...weird.)  So for a few days each month, I eat without appetite in a misguided effort to appease my physical pain (as opposed to the other 27 days in the month, when I eat in a misguided effort to appease my mental pain.)

There is a lot of drama going on in boy's family right now.  These goings-on are very, very strange indeed. For most of us, there is nothing strange about family drama  -- my family, for example, is full of self-destructing, misanthropic mentals (myself included).  But boy's family has always represented normality --  the Cleavers, the Brady Bunch, the poster family for Good Mental Health.  Alas, there are some chips appearing in the carefully constructed and maintained veneer, and if you will allow the mixed metaphors, I think there are storms ahead.  Big storms indeed.  After all the time I've spent with them, I am just now discovering that boy's family is as weird as anyone else's, and has simply done a better job of hiding it.

I've always held boy's family in my mind as the bedrock of normality.  Watching this image crumble in such a spectacular way has convinced me, once and for all, that Normal doesn't exist.  We are, all of us, simply points plotted on a huge psychic scale of Weird.  There isn't a quadrant for Normal.  Normal is the stuff of folklore, of fantasy, as real as unicorns and elves.  (My sincere apologies to any of you who may agree with my assessment of normality but believe in the existence of unicorns and elves.)

1 comment: